- Map Direction and Logging Script -
- Help and Documentation File -
This help documentation is designed to assist you with the customisation of your script. Firstly though thank you for purchasing Direct Me - we think it's a pretty nice idea and we hope you'll enjoy using it and find it useful too. Please take the time to quickly consult this documentation if you have any queries.
This template includes the following template files: index.html (demo usage file), map.html (script file) and submit.php (database and CSV logging file).
Direct Me includes the Fancybox jquery plugin and helps you customise the interaction with Google Maps for your website.
1 - HTML STRUCTURE
The code has been commented to ensure that it's relatively easy to find the parts that you may wish to edit. For example the code below is from map.html...
The following section advises you of the edits you will need to make to customise the script for your website.
2 - CUSTOMISATION
To set up the script to work on your website, there are a few simple steps to follow:
- Open the map.php file. Firstly generate the latitude and longitude values for the appropriate location via http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html and replace those we have placed in the script in the "point" (line 16) variable as a demo. Secondly, place the address to your location in the "end" variable (line 19).
- Open the index.html file. Copy all of the files contents and place it within your site, this will create a link to the directions script.
- If you wish to store your user's locations in a database create a MySQL database and then open the sql.txt file and Import it into a database using phpmyadmin, or your relevant database interface.
If you do not wish to store
using a database change line 3 of submit.php to $store = 1;
- Open the submit.php file and choose how you are going to store the data recieved. If you choose to store in a database, fill out the host, user, password and database name information in the appropriate spots to allow a connection with the database to be established when the script runs. Once complete save the file.
- Finally, upload the folder to your website!
By logging the entries into a database or CSV file you will be able to export the locations where users are requesting directions from and help map out a demographic of your clientele.
3 - Help!
Still stuck? Feel like it's all impossible? Email us. We're here to help and for most requests can provide a helping hand at no charge whatsoever (though we're not going to build your website!). You can email us directly firstname.lastname@example.org or you can just click this little button on our profile page: